Is Flood Insurance Necessary for Trailers?

At Armor Insurance Group, we’ve seen too many of our Virginia Beach, VA customers fail to get flood insurance for their mobile home. They either don’t think it matters or believes that they cannot buy these types of policies. That is simply not the case.

A Trailer May Qualify For Flood Insurance

Most trailer homes will be able to buy flood insurance if they are attached to a permanent foundation, if it is located in a flood hazard area, and if it has a development permit from the proper authorities. As a development permit is required whenever you live in a mobile home, you should have no difficulties qualifying for flood insurance of some type.

The Types Available

Your trailer home likely qualifies for what is known as a low-to-moderate-risk policy. These are available for just about any home because most fall in this area. They are often as cheap as over $100 a year. However, if you live in higher-risk areas (as defined by the government), you can get high-risk policies. These provide more comprehensive coverage, though low-to-moderate-risk policies still cover a lot.

How It Protects You

When you buy flood insurance policies for your trailer home, you are covering it, its foundation, all of its electrical and plumbing systems, all HVAC units, appliances, carpeting, paneling, bookcases, cabinets, clothing, food, artwork, some books, and much more. You are also getting coverage for debris removal and loss avoidance measures. In most cases, you’ll also get relocation and flood-proofing coverage to help you recover from this devastating situation.

Get Your Trailer Covered Now

Even if you have never experienced a flood in your Virginia Beach, VA mobile home, it is smart to look into a policy and speak with an agent to learn more of its advantages. Contact us at Armor Insurance Group to learn more about flood coverage for trailers and how it can keep you safe.

What To Consider When Choosing Condo Insurance

Unlike a Virginia Beach, VA homeowner, as a condo dweller, you don’t own the building you live in or the land it’s on. While your condo’s or homeowners association (HOA) probably carries a master policy to insure the property and building and will pay for accidents or injuries that occur on outside areas or common areas, it likely won’t cover you or your personal property. For example, your HOA won’t cover repairs to the inside of your unit after a disaster, and won’t replace or repair stolen or damaged Items, or cover liability costs if you or your guests are injured inside your condo. Having a personal condo insurance policy from Armor Insurance Group, called an HO-6 policy, to cover those events is smart.  

Condo Insurance vs. HOA Insurance 

There are significant differences between these two types of insurance policies. The following are common instances when Condo Insurance coverage will typically kick in: 

  • There’s damage to your unit’s interior. Because you own your unit, you are likely to be responsible for damage to fixtures, including lighting, cabinets, and appliances. Your HOA master policy may cover the original items built into your place, but it may have a “bare walls” policy, meaning that it is up to you to insure everything, including the walls, ceiling, and flooring. 
  • Your belongings are stolen. If your computer, furniture, or clothing is stolen, your HOA’s insurance won’t cover it. You need personal property coverage to handle that. 
  • A guest gets hurt in your Virginia Beach, VA home. If a guest falls inside your condo, personal condo insurance will cover their medical bills and any liability costs if they sue you. 
  • The damage exceeds your HOA’s policy limit. If a claim to your HOA exceeds its master policy limits, you and other unit owners may be required to contribute funding to make up the difference.  

What Is Covered By The HOA Policy? 

That depends on the policy. Some won’t cover anything inside your unit, including wiring and plumbing. Some may cover original fixtures, lighting, cabinetry, and flooring. To determine what type of condo insurance you need to cover that your HOA insurance doesn’t, and ensure you and your belongings are protected, call your Armor Insurance Group agent today.